Friday, July 19, 2013

Celebrate Something


Whatever it is that you want to celebrate go for it! That's the theme of this card. I found out that Curtain Call is back and for their welcome back challenge they gave us a nautical inspiration collage. Now let me let you in on a little secret...I own not one nautical stamp. This proved to be a bit of a challenge for me to get in on the fun.


I decided I would pull from the colors of the inspiration: blue, yellow, green, with just a touch of kraft/brown. While going through my stamp to see if I could use something for the nautical vibe I came across my WMS Off Beat Background. In this amazing set there is a stamp with two stripe for creating plaid, well I used them for the stripes that one typically sees with the above theme. I simply masked off the thin strip. I went with blue stripes since that royal blue purse was the first thing I saw and then the yellow shorts. I wasn't in the mood for an all stripe card so I kept digging through my stamps and came across PTI's Heart-2-Heart #5. This set is a sweet little banner building set, and what boat isn't complete without some little flags/banners. I didn't want my banners to be all one color so I pulled three from the picture. Since my blue wasn't as bright as the purse, I went with a softer yellow, and my third was the green from the palm peeking through in the above picture. The striped flag is still blue to carry that theme through (and because I wanted it to be my dominate color) while the heart banners are the soft yellow. I knew the green would be a tad brighter so I kept the green banner down to only three (and if you noticed they are placed in a pleasing triangle). I used the lined flag image to stamp it onto white c/s and then with a watercolor brush and watered down ink I painted in the flags. The sentiment was stamped in the stamp blue I used with the stripes and flags to finish it off. However, once I layered it together i felt it was missing something. I inked a strip of white c/s with the yellow ink and layered it just so that it is peeking from under the flags/banner and then with foam dots I put the image panel down. Still not right, so I die cut three small hearts from kraft c/s and covered some of the hearts on the yellow flags. I figured kraft was very nautical since it is used for straw hats, warfs, boats, etc. The other hearts I color with a glitter pen and then went over with glossy accent to help define them. For the finishing touch I add some brown faux stitching down the side with the stripes and yellow was and round the bottom corner of the card. I great card that could be used for a baby shower or just because.


Photobucket

2 comments:

Jessica Kephart | A Homespun Affair said...

What a darling way to use these banners!! Very Cute! Thank you so much for playing along with us at the Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge!

xoxoxox

Jessica Kephart
DT

Tracey McNeely said...

The banners are so sweet for your nautical card. Thank you so much for sharing with us for the first Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge.