Saturday, March 12, 2011

Robins and Springtime

I don't see many Robins around my home, but I just love how they one of the symbols for Spring. And spring time is starting to make it's way to my home at the start of my Spring Break. For most, spring break means sleeping in; however, my youngest has taken it upon himself that 5:30 am is an excellent time to start waking up. Most of the time we can keep him down for another hout, but only if one of us is "sleeping" in his room. 6:30 am means wake up and play though. Mommy and Daddy aren't really digging this new wake-up call, and we're racking out brain trying to figure out what to do.

I am so excited that I have finally been able to play with one of my two new stamps sets I just bought from PTI. For this card I used Little Bitty Bird for my focus as a scraped background to give the background some texture. Since I had robins on my mind, I decided to turn one of the birds in this great set into a sweet little robin. Another thing that I've been playing with this weekend is stamping and coloring on some sticky back canvas. You have to be a little more careful with the copics, but I do love the results. I used Rich Cocoa Memento ink to stamp the words and images in before I started coloring. To help add some depth to my little bird I lightly outlined the wing and went over the eye as well. I created the sky but lightly sweeping different shade of blues and blue-greens around the bird/branch. The copics I used were E25, 27; R22, 24; G21, 24; BG0000, 10, 11; B0000, 000. I chose to soften the edges of everything with PTI's Vintage Touch. I also broke up sentiment in order to stack it and have it work better with the image. I added some twine to the stirp of brown that I embossed with Tim Holtz's wood folder and placed a little twine bow to give it a little something extra. The brads are used to completed my visual triangle the bird and bow started.



Challenges used:
PTI's Make it Mondays: distress - the patterned paper is crumpled and the edges have been sponged as well as roughed up
Papertrey Paper Dolls: have something that starts with PTI - p, patterned paper; t, twine/tree branch; i, ink
Crazy 4 Challenges: create a card with a tree (I hope my tree branch will count)
Sketch Saturday: sketch challenge

Photobucket

12 comments:

Michelle (abzzymom) said...

Nice card! I like all the natural elements of the card: bird, twine, woodgrain. The canvas works perfectly with these elements. Great job! Thanks for playing along with the Paper Dolls Challenge. Good luck!

Amy Kolling said...

Cassie, this is adorable! You can't go wrong with Little Bitty Bird! Love the canvas! Thanks for playing along with our challenge!

Emily D. said...

Beautiful Cassie! I love robins. They are such pretty birds.

the paper perch by jess said...

I love this!!! Love how you made the bitty bird a robin! All the details on your card are perfect!

Kristin said...

amazing card, great coloring!! hope you can sleep in some!! thanks so much for joining in on our challenge!!

Renee said...

This is adorable!
Love that canvas...
never tried it but now I'm very curious to give it a go!
Thanks so much for playing along with The Dolls :)

Cazza said...

Cassie this is absolutely gorgeous! Love the simplicty of it, just stunning.
Thanks for joining in the fun with us this week over at Sketch Saturday :o)
Hugs,
Cazza
xxx

Marybeth said...

Such a pretty card,love the way you colored the bird.

Elena said...

wow! I'm in love with how you created the bird image on the canvas. If I tried this, I wouldn't be able to offer a close-up picture - ha ha. So well done!

Stephie said...

A really great card! The bird is so sweet!

Silke Ledlow said...

Pure cuteness Cassie! I love this Set too :) !!! Love how you stamped it on canvas...very cool look! Thank you for playing Earth Day with us and I hope you get to sleep in soon...LOL! Hugs ~S~

Laura Isham said...

I love how you distressed this card. It is really adorable!