Thursday, March 17, 2011

Waltzing with WMS St. Patty Day's style

In the midst of Spring Break over here and am loving it. We (my boys and I) really haven't done much this week and don't really plan to. School/work has been busy so this break is to catch our breathe. The boys haven't been too upset about keeping things low key as we started having a roof put over our patio. This been free entertainment as they boys and the dog are glued to the windows so they can "supervise" the work going on. The workers have been really great with them too. I knew we have a large patio but I guess I just never really knew how big until the work started (18 feet deep and 25 feet wide). Because of the size they have to put a post in the middle. At first, we weren't happy about that, but then we talked to my architect brother and all is good now. The money to get what we really want would cost too much at this point for us, so this is the next best thing. In fact, we plan on working with the post and turn the patio into two "rooms": play and eat.

I always look forward to waltzing with WMS as I LOVE Claire's stamps. I am slowly starting to build up my collection. For my two cards in this great waltz I used a wonderful FREEBIE that Claire has done and ya'll can get from her store. I've been on a kick with coloring on canvas so both images have been done that way. I love how I was able to acheive two different looks with the same image. For the first card I choose to go with a more natrual look by using kraft, vanilla, and a yellowy-green color. I printed the digi image on some sticky-back canvas and then colored it with my copics. Once I was happy with my coloring I shaded with Distress Ink Antique Linen and Vintage Photo to age the canvas before pulling the edges apart to fray it some. To give the background papers some depth I used PTI's Linen/Canvas Impression Plate and then sponged the edges with the same two distress inks. I roughed up the edges of the green mat, krafts strip and the kraft card base. The green strip was crampled and sponged so that it could stand apart from the green mat that goes over it.

Oh how I wish this close-up could show the embossed linen and canvas as well was the aging technique on the canvas. IRL it looks really neat.

Challenges used:
Fab & Funky Challenges: all things green or happy St. Patty's Day
Whimsie Doodles: use green
Beary Scrap: spring theme
The sketch is an old CPS one



For my second card I wanted to go with a different look. I wanted something more "spring-y" and thought these colors would be perfect: grey, light blue, the same green from the above card, and white. I colored the image with copics on sticky back canvas again (G21 & 24), but this time I used my oval nestie to cut it out after I snipped a few part to extend the edge. I used the same canvas impression plate on the light blue, but the grey and green was stamped to create my background paper. I used a text image on the grey and a damask from PTI on the green. The lace is Prima and was sprayed with Meadow Green Glimmer Mist.


Challenges used:
Crafty Cardmakers: make your own background paper
Papercraft Star: St. Patty's Day photo inspiration

Photobucket

35 comments:

Bumblebee said...

I love how you've done this on canvas/linen, such a lovely effect!

Antje said...

I love how you stamped on cloth - I imagine IRL it must look stunning!

Julia Aston said...

Two beautiful cards! love your coloring on the pretty shamrock posies!

LaurieJ said...

Oh my! Both of your creations are just lovely. I love that you used canvas and your coloring is perfect. And never fear, your linen and canvas impressions show up great.

Joanne Gilch said...

the textures you have going on both cards is amazing. the best is the printing and coloring on the canvas...WOW!

Shaunery said...

Only two blogs into this hop and I'm blown away. Can't believe I haven't "hopped" in any of Claire's blog hops. Your cards are beautiful and loving the sticky back canvas!

Kristina said...

Beautiful cards Cassie! Love them both. The printing on canvas looks pretty cool.
Hugs

Niki Estes said...

Very pretty! I love the shamrocks on the canvas!

FrancineB said...

Beautiful cards. Your fabric card is amazing! Fabulous texture and old world feeling.

Mona Pendleton said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day Cassie! You did an amazing job coloring Claire's digi images! Both are stunning!

Crafty Math Chick said...

The colored canvas looks great Cassie.

Deborah Frings said...

These are brilliant. I love the texture you've got from the canvas paper and your colouring is superb!

Lisa Hjulberg said...

Wow, what a great idea to stamp and color on canvas!!! I must try that!

rudlis said...

Beautiful cards. I love the colours and details.

Clare said...

Great cards, love the canvas! Happy St.Patrick's Day!

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

BEAUTIFUL!!
Love the soft colors and all the texture!

♥Jan♥ said...

Very unusual, and beautiful ! Love the texture to it all. Thanks for playing with us at Papercraft Star !

Lynn Mercurio said...

Fantastic creation. Your shamrock bouquet is stunning. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Genevieve said...

Beautiful cards, I especially love the one on canvas :)

snowbear said...

Lovely cards!

Jen Cuthbertson said...

Cassie, these are lovely! I adore your coloring and the canvas is perfect!! Great job and so happy you joined us at Papercraft Star this week, too!

nancy said...

The shamrocks looks wonderful on the canvas. Gives a hint of Irish linen.

smdluxe said...

Both cards are beautiful, but I especially love the second card. That beautiful lace holds a special place in my heart. lol Beautiful job!!

jen said...

how lovely- and how genius to print on the sticky back canvas! the texture shows up great- but I'm sure it's even better irl!! Happy St. Pat's!

Meredith MacRitchie said...

I LOVE how your image looks on that linen!!

Dana Gustafson said...

Wonderful cards Cassie! Your work on stcky back canvas is stunning!

Elara said...

Hi! I came from Creative Card Crew's blog, just joined today for the first time. Love your card! :)

Debbie, Crafty Heart

Anonymous said...

WOW! I was blown away!!! The way you colored the images on the canvas it unbelievable!!!

Unknown said...

So stunning, LOVE the texture Cassie lu! beautiful! Thank you so much for waltzing along with us!

A Consuming Passion said...

REally love both your cards Cassie ..... How clever to use canvas I love anything involving fabric.

Karen B. said...

Both great cards but I really really like the vintage shabby take on the first! Great coloring.

Kelly S. said...

So beautiful on that piece of linen, and it's colored so perfectly! Gorgeous St. Patrick's day project duo!

juelmarie said...

Awesome - love what you did with the lace - thanks for playing with us at Lollipop Challenge and good luck!

Crafy Hugs,

Juelmarie - Lollipop DT

Jamie said...

What a cute card, I love the colors and the frayed edges. Thanks so much for playing in our Beary Sweet challenge! Good luck in winning one of our Birthday presents!

Jamie from The Beary Scrap DT

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous card! Love all of the textures. Thanks so much for joining us at the Beary Scrap Spring challenge.
hugs,
Gini