Monday, June 17, 2013

Red, White, and Blue Summer

It's the 17th and that means it's waltzing time! WMS is having it's monthly waltz and the theme is Summertime Fun. I love to play the WMS's stamp set My Island, but I figured I would try my hand at creating a summertime card WITHOUT using that stamp set this time. I had lots of fun creating last months cards for teachers without using typical teacher themed stamps that I just had to try it again.


I must admit though that time got away from me this month and I almost forgot about the waltz, so I may have cheated just a little. Living in America means celebrating July 4th, which just happens to be in the middle of summer, so I used that as inspiration. Ya'll know Bitty Banners is one of my favorites so of course that was my go to stamp set.



For the bottom banner I white embossed the polka dot strip from WMS's Off Beat Background and then sponged red on top and blue on the bottom. After I layered them on the white cardstock I decided it needed something else. I decided to use the same sponged look for the background of the card. I simply sponged red in on the top part and blue on the bottom making sure I left some white in the middle. The sentiment is from PTI's Flipping Out set and was white embossed. Once I had everything like I wanted I still decided that it needed something more, so I trimmed the sponged c/s to allow for a frame and layered it on top of a new white card base. Much better.

Photobucket

12 comments:

Joyce said...

This is such a creative take on the challenge. Your sponged banners are wonderful.

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Love your darling banners with your beautifully inked background!! So striking!

Marybeth said...

The sponging turned out great! Love your red , white ,and blue banner card,Cassie!

Julia Aston said...

Love how your banners are curled and loose - great patterns and sponging on this patriotic summer card Cassie!

-Aneta- said...

Beautiful background and amazing banners :)

Purrfect Paper Creations said...

Love the banners, and the sponging looks really cool--I like the look!

Chris L.

Deborah Frings said...

Oh Cassie - this is perfectly clean and simple. I do like the banners and the sponged background - great card.

Kary said...

Wow, Cassie, I LOVE your card!! Amazing colours and a wonderful CAS design!!

maria f. said...

I love this. So clever, simple, effective and patriotic.

Antje said...

Simple and very nice!

Vickie Z said...

Sponging is fabulous and love those banners- they're one of my favs too!!

Marlena M. said...

Gorgeous sponging Cassie~wow!