Friday, May 27, 2011

It's Christmas in May

I'm really getting into creating Christmas cards right now. I've gotten a new Christmas set from WMS in my last order that I have really been wanting to use. The set is called 'Twas the Night Before Christmas and can create some wonderful window scene cards. I wanted to go with a slightly vintage feel and was inspired by several of the cards that the WMS DT memebers made during the release. The base is kraft while the next layer is vanilla/cream that I stamped the story text on in Antique Linen Distress Ink and then sponged layers of Antique Linen, Old Paper, Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain, and Barn Door di after distressing the edges. In the bottom right corner I stamped with little sentiment under the framed scene in Walnut Stain and the sweet little mouse from the stamp set in Vintage Photo to complete the theme.



The window scene itself was so much fun to create. I stamped the frame in Walnut Stain onto kraft paper and then used Labels 14 Spellbinders Die to cut and emboss it. I then used a craft knife to cut out the center part and sponged the edges with the same ink. I stamped the shutters in Barn Door onto vanilla c/s and cut them out (and the heart in the center) leaving a little flap to tuck into/behind the inside part of the frame. Once cut I sponged some Barn Door on the shutters to color them. After stamping the windows on to vanilla c/s I colored them with red copics to match the shutters and then stamped Santa and his sleigh in Old Paper for what can be seen through the window. To really work the window element I covered the window panes in glossy accents. I hope I covered everything in the how I did this department :)




Challenges used:
WMS CCC: March Challenge is to use kraft, red, vanilla/white
Kaboodle Doodles Challenge: Distress, Tear, Rip, Crumble
Charisma Cardz: Male Cards (this would be perfect holiday card for that bachelor in the family)
City Crafter Challenges: alter a frame or use a frame of sorts (my frame around the windows)

My Time to Craft: use a die cut

Photobucket

7 comments:

Linda Suarez said...

I love your card! All the elements were wonderfully done. I've been thinking of getting this stamp set and you may have just tipped it off my wish list into the cart. This does look like a fun set. And I should probably get started on Christmas cards too.

Leah l'Orange said...

lovely card - very vintage feel to it, and the distressing/inking is perfect. thanks so much for sharing with the Charisma Galz!

Ros said...

Incredible!! I love this ... so unique and the colours are perfect ... thanks so much for playing along at CCCB

sparklygirl-Tina said...

Hi Cassie

What a lovely card and I guess its never to early to start on the Christmas makes!

Thanks so much for joining us over at Kaboodle Doodles and good luck.

Tina

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

So adorable, thanks for playing along with us at CCCB!

Unknown said...

I just love how you framed that little window.. Thanks so much for playing along with us at CCCB!

cnelson said...

DArling! LOVE that little window!