Friday, January 25, 2013

In need of some sunshine

ETA: I found an amazing blog hop for those who threw their hat into the publication ring and didn't get picked up. It's called The Contenders blog hop. How fun is this :)
 
So I tried my hand at a publication call. I didn't get the call. Oh well, at least I tired and I had fun doing it. Many things could have turned their head like poor photo quality or even my write up on the cards. It did kinda stings that I didn't get any of my cards picked up but I will get over it. Now I can show them on my blog, lol. I ended up submitting four cards and over the next couple of weeks I will post them here. In the meantime, here's the first one.
 

This card was fun to create and it wasn't your normal card size and it was for a sunshine call. I tried to think beyond the usual. This one came in at 3 1/4 x 5 1/4. To get the cloudy day look I embossed some clouds from PTI's Up Up & Away. I sprinkled some silver embossing powder into the mix so that I could get more of a grey sky kind of thing. I think it came out more cloudy than grey sky but it's all good. Once you open the vellum layer you see the sunshine that was peeking through the clouds. I created the sun with PTI's Hello Sunshine. The sentiment is embossed in silver.

When I get some more free time (and out of my funk that seems to be staying around longer that normal) I will try more calls because I really did find it fun.

Photobucket

12 comments:

Jingle said...

This is really cool! I love the sun design and the clouds look so neat on the vellum! Just keep trying... it will happen! :)

Houses Built of Cards said...

OH WOW! This is so creative and fun! I'm surprised that it didn't get picked! Don't give up on submitting - I did it for 4 or 5 calls before I finally had something picked up! So keep trying! This time the one I had picked up was the one I thought didn't have a chance - and almost didn't even submit! You just never know!

housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

Virginia L. said...

Love your sunshine card, Cassie! The vellum layer adds a great touch to the design!You attention to details are fabulous! I think it's only a matter of time that you get published, so please keep at it, Cassie! And please make sure that you have fun doing it ,too! HUGS!

Leigh Penner said...

Very cool card, Cassie!

Lalo said...

loving the velum. super fab card!!!

Barb Turpin said...

So clever! Love the results of your sunshine creation!

Annette Witherspoon ♥ said...

Oh my goodness! I love this idea! That is so creative!! Keep trying to submit. Thanks for linking this up to The Contenders hop!

Katie Gehring said...

This is fabulous! Please keep submitting. You are so very talented! I agree with Virginia and it will only be a matter of time before you see a happy email from the PC Mag editors in your inbox!!

Julie said...

This is an adorable card. I love the idea of clouds on a vellum overlay with the sunshine peeking through!

Jocelyn Olson said...

I love the sunshine card! the vellum is very cool. I really like how the card is a non-traditional size, too...very fun! I'm sorry you didn't get anything accepted, and yes, it does sting. I hope you'll give the birthday call a shot (you always have a better shot with the bigger/special issues like that one). :)

Camilla said...

Thats really cute!!

Taheerah said...

Lovely card Cassie! Very creative with the clouds on the vellum front!! Thank you so much for leaving some love on my blog - it was lovely to have you visit. :-)