Friday, November 27, 2009

Orange: For Fall and Christmas Too


I'm involved in a Growing in Unity and my week will be the week of December the 7th, and thought I would give ya'll a little tease. I really do like the style of their stamps and their sayings stamps are perfect for so many different types of projects. Today both of my projects are cards. The first card makes for a great fall card but the colors can be changed up so easily for any season. The branches/leaves were punched from a Martha Stewart punch and then sprayed with Shimmerz Baby's Breath spray to give it some sparkle. I watercolored the path in a medium brown then sponged in edges of the saying in three shades of brown. The first layer of matting behind the saying is a very thin dark brown c/s the mounted on the medium brown c/s that I crumpled and then sponged dark brown over it (I like how it gave it a faux leather look to it). I really like the clean and simple lines of the card.


Challenges I used:
OCC - color challenge
Hope Stamps Eternal - cupcake challenge
Stamp Stacular Sunday - reminds you of the outdoors


This second card uses the beautiful All Santa's Reindeer from Unity and is embossed in copper and watercolored to give it a little more depth on rust colored c/s. The saying was stamped in the same color and I sponged the edges with the rust color too to soften the edges. The blue was punched with another Martha Stewart punch (a snowflake border punch), sponged in a light brown, and then sprayed with Shimmerz Baby's Breath spray for a subtle sparkle. The base is a pumpkin color and I stamped different sizes of snowflakes on it in a matching ink color. The final touch is the rhinestones. I am really surprised at how this card turned out and that touch of soft blue really works with it. This is so not in my realm of color schemes for anything let alone a Christmas scheme, but I really am getting into this one. Kind of a modern meets vintage.

Challenges used:
Just Us Girls - color challenge (I've had to not play along with the last few challenges due to what we've been going through here and have found that I have really been missing this challenge blog)

Photobucket

20 comments:

Lianna Knight said...

I LOVE that quote on the first card...so so true!

Rachel Hope said...

Great cards!!! I love the sentiment on the top one!!! Thanks for playing along with the Cupcake Inspiration this week!

Aud Kirsten said...

Great cards! Thanks for joining us at SSC this week:)

Liza said...

Beautiful cards and great colours. Thanks for joining us at SSC.

Liza x

Arianne said...

Great cards!
Thank you for joining our challenge.

Hugs, Arianne
SS&S team

Teresa Kline said...

wow, this is very pretty, great work...have a wonderful weekend!

enjoy *~*

scubasubie said...

I love the idea of an orange card. What a great twist.

Jennifer Meyer said...

Beautiful card Karen, LOVE the elegant design and sentiment. Great job with the sketch!!

Thanks for playing along with us over at the OCC! Hugs, Jennifer :)

Bumbles and Fairy-Tales said...

Beautiful cards, Cassie! I love that you used orange! So pretty :)

Hope you had a wonderful holiday :*)
~ margie

Piali said...

Beautiful cards, Cassie!!! Thanks for joining SSC this week .
Hugs
Piali

gale said...

These are both so pretty. Love the snowflake border.

Anonymous said...

Wonderfuyl card thank you for taking part at ssc

Jill said...

beautiful cards Cassie thanks for joining us at PTW hugs Jill xx

Georgia said...

Pretty card! Love the punch you used. Thanks for joining us at the SSC.

Carolyn said...

A very elegant card. I really love the sentiment. Thanks for joining in at SSC.
Hugs xx
Carolyn

Mira said...

Really beautiful cards :)
Thanks for joining us at SS&S.
Mira XX

CarlaKH said...

love these unity images!

Unknown said...

cassie...this is so pretty! love the colors and all the accents!

thanks for playing along with my sketch for this week...you've done an amazing job! :)

{{{hugs}}}
mercy

Jenn Embry said...

Great cards. I love the quote stamps from Unity. I use that one quite a bit.

SemSee said...

Fab card! I love that pumpkin colour and that gorgeous reindeer stamp! Thanks so much for playing along with us this fortnight at Sunday Sketch & Stamp! Hugs, Sem x (SS&S DT)